Estate Planning - Disabled Children

Care for your child, always.

When you have a child with a disability, the child's needs continue even when you're not there. Estate planning for children with special needs ensures that they have a protected pathway, a future in which they're cared for in the way they need to be physically, emotionally, and financially.

At Zaske Law, our personal experience with a family member with special needs and professional experience creating plans for caregivers and other parents combines to give us a unique and complete insight to the needs of disabled children.

With our knowledge, we plan for your child's future in the following ways:

  • Establish Guardianship and Roles
    When you're not around to care for your child, who will be? By establishing guardianship and roles, we'll plan for your child's housing, transportation, advocacy, and other types of care. One person, or many people, may be responsible for various aspects of your child's needs. We create the legal documents and a careful plan to designate these roles and responsibilities. When we establish guardianship and roles, we ensure your child's needs are planned-for and provided.

  • Create a Special Needs Trust
    A special needs trust provides for the financial needs of your child and enhances quality of life without jeopardizing his or her government benefits. We can help you plan and set up a trust, designate a trustee, and ensure that your child is financially secure.

  • Establishing a Care Plan—Letter of Intent
    No one knows your child better than you. When you establish a care plan, also known as a letter of intent, you're making sure that future guardians and trustees have the information necessary to make the best choices possible for your child. A good care plan explains the social, financial, educational, and vocational needs of the person with a disability and his or her ability to provide for these needs with or without assistance. We can help you write or update a letter of intent and establish a care plan that accounts for the complete wellbeing of your child.

  • Navigate Sticky Legal Issues
    When you're a parent of a special needs child, there are many legal issues you're left to handle on your own. For instance, establishing guardianship once your child turns 18 (when you're legally not the guardian anymore) or making sure family members don't give your child gifts exceeding $2,000 (in which case they could lose government benefits). No one tells you about these things, and it's not good to learn the hard way. As your legal partner, Zaske Law can help you navigate the intricacies of your life situation and partner with you throughout your child's life.

If you're the parent of a special needs child, we know you have a lot of questions. We'd love to answer them.

Please give us a call at 651-301-9852 or e-mail us at today.